User
Password
Forgot your password?

News - 13.01.11

Michael Potashnik y Donald R. Winkler in Argentina

MICHAEL POTASHNIK PhD and DONALD R. WINKLER, publisher and editor, respectively, of the International Wine Review, will be visiting Patagonia, Mendoza and Buenos Aires from January 23 to February 1.

According to data from the Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) of the United States Department of Agriculture, Argentine wine exports grew by 23.1% with respect to 2009. In turn, the average price per liter of Argentine wine, in dollars, is higher than that of Chilean wine.

Since Argentina now ranks fourth among countries importing bottled wine into the US, outperforming Chile for the first time, Wines of Argentina has decided to invite Michael Potashnik and Donald Winkler to come over for a visit. The purpose of their visit will be to prepare a new report on Argentine wines for the International Wine Review to educate importers, sommeliers, retailers and IWR enthusiasts.

The following activities have been scheduled for their visit:

Visit to wineries in Patagonia - January 25 and 26

Visit to wineries in Mendoza - January 27, 28 and 29

Tasting of wines from the northern region in Buenos Aires - January 31

Tasting of wines from San Juan in Mendoza - date to be confirmed

Visitors

Michael Potashnik, PhD Publisher

Mike Potashnik is currently Publisher of the International Wine Review which he founded in September 2005. He has more than a quarter century of experience in wine tasting, writing and lecturing about wine and has extensively traveled and tasted in France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Argentina, Chile and other wine regions. He has also served as chef apprentice in several Washington, DC restaurants. Mike lives in McLean Virginia when not traveling. Prior to publishing the International Wine Review, Mike founded the online Virginia Wine Guide and Virginia Wine and Food Society. He is also a biker and combines biking with wine tasting and writing—although not simultaneously.

Donald R. Winkler, Editor

Donald Winkler has for the past twenty years traveled extensively to learn from the world’s leading winemakers and viticulturalists and to write about wine. He assumed the position of editor of the International Wine Review in 2008. He also writes the i-winereview blog and co-authors a bi-weekly newspaper column on wine. He is an economist by training and formerly was professor at the University of Southern California and other academic institutions. He writes on wine markets and, also, the interaction between terroir and wine. He speaks Spanish and Portuguese and reads French. His home is Washington, DC, and Cape Town, South Africa. He has traveled to Argentina several times, including to Córdoba, Salta, San Juan, and Mendoza. In 2006 he was a member of the International Wine Review team that traveled to Mendoza and wrote the report on Argentina’s Magnificent Malbec. More recently, he has traveled to and written wine reports and articles on Portugal, South Africa, Ribera del Duero, Rioja, Chile, Navarra, California, and Tuscany. His email address is don@i-winereview.com.