News - 27.08.09
German sommeliers’ visit
A group of 7 prestigious sommeliers from different regions of Germany, invited by Wines of Argentina, visites Buenos Aires, Mendoza, San Juan, Salta and Patagonia.
For a whole week, Argentina enjoyed the presence of 7 of the most important sommeliers from Germany, quite a significant market since it is the 11th export destination for Argentinian wines.
Wines of Argentina invited the sommeliers to visit the best places as regards cuisine and local winemaking. The wine tour began on August 18th in Cafayate, Salta, but previously they spent a day in Buenos Aires in order to acclimatize to the “aires argentinos”. Once in Cafayate, the group took part of a Seminar at Michel Torino with Etchart and Domingo Hermanos. The lunch was held in the winery El Porvenir de Los Andes with Yacochuya. At night, Colomé, Nanni and El Tránsito were the wineries having dinner with the group.
The trip to San Juan, was on August 19th, and began with a lunch in Casa Montes with Finca Las Moras, Callia and Xumek. Then, in Graffigna, they will attend a seminar together with Rewen, La Guarda, Tierra Mayor and Antigua Bodega.
In Mendoza, the seminar was carried out in Alta Vista with the participation of wineries such as Malbec de Angeles, Achaval Ferrer, Catena Zapata and Foster. Then, the group tasted the wines of Cap Vistalba, Pulenta Estate, Ruca Malen, Cheval des Andes and Terrazas de los Andes, in Cap Vistalba, where some of the owners of the wineries stayed for lunch at La Bourgignon restaurant. In the afternoon, there was another seminar in Trapiche with the presence of Trivento, Familia Zuccardi, Finca Agostini and Rutini. The dinner was at Francis Mallmann restaurant with Escorihuela Gascón, Mendel, Los Toneles and Viña Don Martín.
On the next day, the group traveled to the Uco Valley, where the sommeliers attended a seminar in Clos de los Siete, together with Monteviejo, O. Fournier and Lurton. The lunch was at Salentein with Sophenia, Andeluna and Jean Bousquet, and, once they returned to Mendoza, they tasted the wines of Norton, Viña Cobos, Viñas del Golf and Bodega Crotta, having dinner at Franceso restaurant.
The tour ended in Patagonia, going through San Patricio del Chañar and having lunch at NQN, together with Familia Schroeder, Bodega del Fin del Mundo, Valle Perdido and Universo Austral. In the afternoon, a seminar with the same wineries was carried out in Bodega Familia Schroeder. Finally, they had dinner at Valle Perdido Winery.
The last day, the group traveled to Río Negro, where a “general tasting” and a lunch in the winery Humberto Canale, was carried out with the participation of Noemia and Chacra.
The great stars
This promotion week included well known figures related to the German cuisine.
- Mathias Dathan is sommelier in charge in Michelin restaurants, Caroussel (Dresden) and Cuadriga (Berlin), among them; currently he works independently in Berlin advising restaurants such as "Zander”. He also writes in the wine guide Gault-Millau.
- Hendrik Thoma is one of the three most famous and important German sommeliers with cuisine training. From 1995 to 2008, he was Chef-Sommelier at Louis C. Jacob Hotel in Hamburgo, 1 Michelin star, the most prestigious hotel of Hamburgo, quite famous for its winery. Nowadays, he is an independent adviser and writer, and has his own TV program in NDR channel.
- Jürgen Giesel is Chef Sommelier at Aqua Restaurante and Ritz Carlton Hotel (Wolfsburg), 3 Michelin stars, Sommelier of the "Impulse“ and “Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung“ year.
- Lidwina Weh was Head Sommelier at Jumeirah Emirates Towers, Dubai (Bestes Business Hotel, Middle East) and was in charge of 16 restaurants from 2005 to 2008.Since 2008, she is Chef Sommelier at Louis C. Jacob Hotel in Hamburgo, 1 Michelin star.
- Jürgen Fendt is one of the three most famous and important German sommeliers. He has won several awards and contests. Currently, he works in a 3-Michelin-star Great Hotel. Since 1999 he has been Chef Sommelier at Bareiss Restaurant, Bareiss Hotel, 3 Michelin stars.
- Claudio Fusco: Since 2007, he is Chef-Sommelier at “Ente Hotel Nassauer Hof” Restaurant (Wiesbaden) 1 Michelin star.
- Sibylle Herbst: Since 2007, he is Chef-Sommelier at Ketschauer Hof Hotel and Restaurants (a new high quality project).